<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2009 books (I'm already really far behind. Sigh.)

I finished the Sean McMullen trilogy with The Miocene Arrow which moves the action to the North American continent and Eyes Of The Calculor which, while still interesting, felt less urgent and less complex than the previous two. Plus it had an almost literal deus ex machina character who I liked but the concept and execution of it didn't work that well for me.

Then there was What The Lady Wants by Jennifer Crusie which I already mentioned.

After that I finished Kelly Link's book of short stories Pretty Monsters. These were unsettling, sometimes ambiguous stories with supernatural elements. I didn't love all of them but there weren't any I disliked either. I did love "Magic For Beginners" and "The Faery Handbag" and "Wizards Of Perfil" especially though. This was my first exposure to Kelly Link's writing (and I'll definitely read more) even though I've been a fan of Small Beer Press for a while because they too appreciate Sean Stewart's genius.

I'm not sure how long I've had Wonder When You'll Miss Me on my shelves, but I finally got around to pulling it out. It was great, of course. I loved the circus setting and the characters who were all damaged in their own ways. Plus it had an ending joke so subtle yet perfect that I didn't even spot it coming until it happened. Bravo.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?