<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Don't You Forget About Me by Jancee Dunn was okay, although I hope I was not supposed to like the main character Lillian all that much because she annoyed me for almost the entire book. But then, I'm not someone who views high school as the best time of my life, so maybe I'm not her target audience. I don't think so though because by the end Lillian does realize that she turned a blind eye to a lot of bad situations and that she needs to move on. I did like a lot of the supporting characters though.

David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed In Flames is his latest collection of essays. They were funny, blah, blah. It's David Sedaris - I'm sure you know already if he makes you laugh.

I loved Spaceman Blues by Brian Francis Slattery so I was excited to read Liberation: Being The Adventures Of The Slick Six After The Collapse Of The United States Of America. It was similar in style, with a free-wheeling, musical feel to it. I didn't like it quite as much as his first book, but it was still really good.

Kory loaned me Elizabeth Moon's The Speed Of Dark which I loved. It was amazing. It's set in the near future where Lou, an autistic man, is being pressured by his company to join a drug trial that might possibly cure his condition. The book is told from Lou's perspective and Moon does an unbelievable job at placing the reader inside the autistic experience. I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

I didn't think Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life: A Collection Of One Night Stands was as funny as her latest, but it still had many funny moments.

I've had Blackburn by Bradley Denton on my shelves for ages and finally pulled it down to read. Blackburn is a serial killer who reacts to modern annoyances (getting ripped off by mechanics, door-to-door salesmen, etc.) with extreme violence that starts to seem reasonable. It was darkly funny and I enjoyed it.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?